Are you looking for ways to transform your backyard? Do you want to create an area where your family and friends can enjoy time together? Have you considered sprucing up your living space but are unsure of where to begin?
Start with a custom deck! A deck is the perfect place to create an oasis for gatherings and parties or relaxation and downtime. Perhaps you already have a deck and want to make some upgrades, or maybe you need to build something from the ground up.
When customizing a deck, there are countless options. It’s all about finding what will meet your needs, match your desired look, and fit the functionality you hope to achieve. In this blog, our Colorado custom deck installers will share some of their favorite ways to turn a basic deck into a custom deck.
PERGOLAS: A pergola is a lovely and functional addition to a backyard deck and serves a variety of purposes. The angled slats produce just the right amount of shade coverage to block out the sun during peak hours (say goodbye to sunburns), yet allow an open feeling with plenty of fresh air flow.
What if you want a more private, intimate area though? You can attach drapes, install a screen, or add latticework. You can also beautify a pergola by turning it into a garden area with climbing flowers and vine plants. Add some hanging pots. Decorate it with lights. There are all sorts of aesthetic variations.
Now, when it comes to constructing a pergola, it can be a stand-alone structure or attached to something else. For example, pergolas can lead a pathway to a gazebo or they can connect directly to your home. It’s up to you and what you hope to accomplish. Overall, pergolas are an excellent and effective way to improve a deck.
PATIO COVERS: Many people find themselves weighing out the pros and cons of a pergola versus a patio cover, so let’s discuss why a patio cover might be right for you. Do you want outside home entertainment equipment? Do you want to install lights, fans, or misters? Then a patio cover is the solution with more shade, more protection, and more coverage.
Since a patio cover is a direct extension of your home, this can even mean a lower electric bill. Your backyard windows and door will have extended shade, keeping your home cooler during the summer months. Ask our patio cover installers about options for different coverings.
MATERIALS: Heads up, there is a huge variety of decking materials to choose from, and it might feel overwhelming to sort through your options. There is no right or wrong answer here. A lot of it comes down to personal preference. You need to consider:
- Upkeep – Some materials require regular maintenance while others can go ignored for years.
- Sun Exposure – Want to retain sunlight? Want to repel it? Yep, there’a a material for that.
- Aesthetics – Are you going for a rustic look or more modern appearance?
- Weather – Certain material options are not recommended in particular climates.
- Color – Do you prefer light, dark, or somewhere in the middle?
Once you’ve answered these questions, you’ll be better equipped to select the custom materials that best fit your priorities.
DESIGN/SHAPE: This is where you can dream big. It is important to envision the overall picture when designing the layout and flow of your deck. Most importantly, you need to think about how you intend to use your deck. When it comes to designing your deck, consider the following:
- Cooking Surfaces – Do not underestimate the amount of room you need for a grill.
- Counterspace – Would you like to incorporate a counter for food prep? What about a counter to eat at with barstools?
- Furniture – It is important to be specific here. Do you want an area where guests can sit down and lounge on a couch? Would you rather have a dining area with a table and chairs? Or both?
- Railings – Rails come in all shapes, sizes, heights, and dimensions. Exploring your options can help you determine what you like and dislike.
- Greenery – Do you want to incorporate planter boxes, window boxes, or even trees?
- Extra Amenities – This category is where you need to consider things such as a fireplace or spa.
As one of Colorado’s premier custom deck companies, we can help you design a living space that caters to your exact needs and expectations. Our custom decks, patio covers, and pergolas are built to last. With more than 27 years of experience, our custom deck installers know what is required to deliver quality work with outstanding craftsmanship. In fact, all our jobs come with a three-year warranty.
Are you ready to create the deck of your dreams? Let our experienced crew help you customize your deck. Contact us at 303-421-6548 today.